Position Title: Employee Relations Specialist
Department: Human Resources
Location: Alexandria, Virginia
Report to: Human Resources Manager
The HR Employee Relations Specialist is responsible for administering policies/procedures and providing support to employees concerning employee relations activities and investigating grievances/complaints.
- Responsible for preparing correspondence, spreadsheets, and a variety of standard and specialized reports of varying complexity, researching and analyzing information, and conducting and completing surveys.
- Maintains the HR Division’s file system regarding discipline, grievances, settlement and release agreements.
- Monitors disciplinary actions to ensure consistency.
- Maintains effective working relationships with other departments, as well as internal and external agencies.
- Provides assistance in labor negotiations and assists in analyzing the impact of negotiation proposals.
- Assists the HR Management Team in preparing material and conducting training of supervisory personnel in matters pertaining to disciplinary actions, grievance procedures and labor agreements.
- May function in a wide variety of situations requiring application of skills in employee counseling, fact finding and facilitation between employee/manager relationships.
- Makes recommendations for changes to existing policies to ensure compliance with new or proposed regulations.
- Investigates and responds to disciplinary matters, EEOC complaints; investigates internal and external complaints/grievances/inquiries.
- Assists and participates in conducting pre-disciplinary meetings.
- Minimum three years relative experience in human resources employee / labor relations.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; preferably with a focus in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business Administration or related field.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Strong knowledge of labor and employee personnel principles, practices and methods.
- Excellent communication and analytical skills, as well as the ability to exercise sound judgment and arrive at sound conclusions.
- Knowledge of federal and state employment, civil rights and labor laws, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of HR record keeping/file maintenance methods, practices and procedures.
- Knowledge or research and investigative methods and practices.
- Knowledge of mediation, negotiation, and conflict resolution methods and practices.
- Experience researching and analyzing statistical or informational data.
- Skilled in effectively utilizing written communication in the development of investigative reports, management reports, training guidelines, and written descriptions.
- Skilled in utilizing verbal communication in presentations and responses to inquiries and complaints.
- Experience identifying, diffusing and mediating differences, and developing consensus.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- A valid driver’s license is required to visit another local company office.
- PHR/SPHR certificate is an asset.
Salary is commensurate with experience and education. Free parking. Casual attire.