Position Title: Legal Business Development Manager
Location: Washington, DC
Industry: Law Firm / Legal Services
Reports To: Assistant Director of Business Development
Status: Full Time, Direct Hire, Exempt
Jones Networking is recruiting for a Business Development Manager for a Large General Practice Law Firm in NW Washington, DC. This is a strategic, results-oriented position focused on supporting the Firm’s internationally recognized Litigation Practices across the globe. This role reports to the Firm’s Assistant Director for Business Development for Litigation and Investigations, and will work closely with other Business Development and Marketing team members, including two Litigation Business Development Specialists. The incumbent will proactively create and execute business development plans, marketing, and external communication programs for Commercial Litigation, Class Actions, Product Liability, Product Safety, and Insurance Practices. Our client offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits to include comprehensive healthcare coverage, 401(k) with employer match, flexible spending account, generous vacation package, tuition reimbursement, growth opportunities, and many other Firm benefits.
Legal Business Development Manager Position Summary
- Consult with practice group leadership to develop and coordinate strategic business development plans for assigned groups and individuals, including fiscal year plans, individual goal statements, and specific business development initiatives. Manage the implementation and execution of these plans and initiatives, and measure outcomes.
- Oversee annual practice group budget development and manage budget on a monthly basis.
- Attend regular practice group meetings with the Firm’s Management Committee; coordinate preparation for meetings with Practice leadership, reporting on business development activities and progress against plans.
- Direct practice group response process for RFP / pitch opportunities, including development of customized client specific pitch materials.
- Actively monitor relevant trade press and case filings to report on prospective client development leads.
- Provide strategic business development advice to leadership and partners focused on the generation of new business leads, expansion of existing clients, and identification and pursuit of cross-selling opportunities.
- Plan and support business development events to include seminars, webinars, dinners, etc.
- Manage practice submissions to Chambers, Legal 500, and other rankings, surveys, and award nominations.
- Work closely with the Public Relations team to identify and leverage media opportunities.
- Participate in managing, coordinating and updating website content, newsletters, brochures and other external communication pieces.
- Identify and research potential profile-raising activities including sponsorship and speaking opportunities to make recommendations as to potential Firm engagement in line with budget.
- Coordinate tracking of practice experience and successes for use in practice materials, on the website, in pitches and proposals, practice descriptions and lawyer biographies.
- Assist with editing, layout and production of Firm and practice group marketing materials.
Legal Business Development Manager Qualifications Summary
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications or related field required.
- Master’s Degree or JD a plus.
- Minimum four years experience in marketing and business development with a Law Firm required.
- Litigation practice experience desired.
- High level of accountability on all work product and ability to effectively juggle multiple projects.
- Supervisory experience is an asset.
- Ability to provide consistent and high quality work product under competing deadlines.
- Solid experience with information technology and software used for marketing. (websites, databases and knowledge management tools)
- Advanced proficiency with Word, PowerPoint and Excel required. InterAction, Adobe, and Publisher skills preferred.