Position Title: Legal Secretarial Services Manager
Department: Human Resources Department
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of Human Resources
Status: Direct hire, Full Time
- Oversee management and operation of secretarial resources for a large Washington, DC Law Firm.
- Direct a group of secretarial supervisors and secretarial floor coordinators to oversee the effective functioning and productivity of secretarial teams servicing each floor.
- Promote the secretarial team concept to effectively and efficiently meet attorneys’ needs.
- Enforce secretarial performance standards and expectations.
- Interface with attorneys to manage their satisfaction and expectations with secretarial services; investigate performance issues and propose recommended actions in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Ensure adequate daily secretarial staffing to meet current and foreseeable workloads.
- Meet with secretaries and attorneys to discuss issues to include; work performance, work expectations and secretarial team arrangements.
- Carefully monitor attorney to secretary ratios to ensure they meet or are progressing toward Firm goals.
- Review secretarial team arrangements regularly to ensure secretarial workload is manageable and attorneys’ needs are being met.
- Manage employee relations and performance of the secretarial team.
- Work closely with Legal Recruiting and Facilities to locate offices and secretarial team arrangements for newly hired attorneys and summer associates.
- Supervise and mentor two secretarial supervisors; including preparing, conducting and approving performance evaluations.
- Review and approve all secretary performance evaluations, before submitting to HR for approval.
- Prepare annual compensation spreadsheet with secretary salary and bonus recommendation.
- Prepare secretarial department’s annual budget.
- Verify and approve vendor payment of invoices for temporary legal secretaries.
- Interview and hire legal secretarial staff.
- Conduct new associate orientation with respect to secretarial department responsibilities and relevant firm policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development of staff policies and procedures in relation to the secretarial team.
- Minimum three years management / supervisory experience in a law firm.
- Strong understanding of the role of a legal secretary.
- Experienced with employee relations and resolving complex and sensitive personnel issues.
- Technologically savvy with ability to use complex spreadsheets and budgeting software.
- Team-oriented and motivated self-starter.
- Strong ability to relate and effectively converse confidently with all levels of attorneys and staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Competitive salary that is commensurate with years of experience, education and training. Excellent benefits, including; medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, life insurance, generous parental leave and PTO plan, retirement plan, transportation benefits, wellness programs, education scholarship opportunities, corporate discounts and more.