- Do not use a template.
- Put your education at the TOP of your resume.
- Include full position descriptions.
- Add all relevant extracurricular activities (Organizations, volunteer work, study abroad…)
- Ask a Professor, Friend, Recruiter, Advisor or Parent to review/edit it.
- Add the start and end date (month and year) for each position.
- If you do not already have a profile, create one.
- Ensure that your photo is professional.
- Verify that your profile is “Open to Opportunities.”
- Include position descriptions and relevant extracurricular activities.
- Add an objective (i.e. Recent College Graduate Seeking Employment in the Accounting Field)
- NETWORK! Networking is the most powerful job hunting tools available.
- Join groups and follow companies of interest to you.
- Make your settings private or clean it up; delete inappropriate photos/comments that you do not want a potential employer to see.
- Create a professional account.
- Find companies and industries that you’re interested in and follow them.
- Positions are constantly being tweeted and re-tweeted; it’s a great hidden job board.
- Use and follow #hashtags to find companies that are hiring in your local area.
- Google yourself – You would be amazed with what companies can find in a simple search.
- If you do find something that you would like deleted in a friend’s account, reach out to the person who posted it and ask for it to be removed.
The Job Hunt:
- Find a Mentor – Ask him/her to help guide you through the process and to be honest with you regarding their feedback.
- Develop a list of 3 professional references that will represent you well and ASK them if they will speak on your behalf.
- Create an elevator speech that will explain to a potential employer why they would benefit by hiring you. (Make sure it is succinct and positive!)
- Invest in a professional suit (navy, grey or black), professional shoes, and a portfolio. It only takes 30 seconds to make a lasting impression, make sure it’s a good one!
- Register with a Recruiting Firm – From information on how to ace your next interview to guidance on how to take charge of your career search, they can help you put your best foot forward and secure a great new opportunity.
If you’re ready to take the next step towards an exciting new career, visit www.jonesnet.com to view all of our current openings in Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD, and Charlotte, NC.